NEW! The Reference Committee Report is now available! Download the Report here (PDF - 41 pages. Please note: printed copies of these reports will be available on-site at the Raleigh Marriott City Center during the Annual Meeting).
Reports and resolutions are available online at www.ncmedsoc.org/hod for review. The deadline for providing your feedback has now closed. If you need assistance logging in to view these documents, contact Kristen Shipherd.
Delegates: Your meeting packet is now available online. Visit www.ncmedsoc.org/delegate to print off the materials you will need during the 2013 House of Delegates. Please note: we will not be mailing your delegate card to you; rather, it will be available to you in your registration packet at the NCMS Annual Meeting desk at the Raleigh Marriott City Center.
For questions regarding House of Delegates deadlines and actions, please contact Linda Carter, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-833-3836 ext. 135.
Note from Speaker of the House of Delegates Docia Hickey, MD:
At the 2011 North Carolina Medical Society (NCMS) Annual Meeting and House of Delegates (HOD), members voted to test a new meeting format, which includes online or "virtual" Reference Committees and a shortened HOD. The goal of the new HOD format is to involve more members from across the state and to minimize the amount of time Delegates spend away from patient care. This new format includes significantly different deadlines and procedures for resolutions and other business of the HOD, which are highlighted below.
The major change for the HOD is that all Reference Committee deliberation will take place prior to the meeting in Raleigh. Reference Committee reports are tentatively scheduled to be available online on October 18 and will be voted on during the second session of the HOD on Saturday, October 26, with all business concluding that day.
Preliminary Schedule and Deadlines
We encourage you to actively participate in this new meeting format and have a voice in NCMS policy issues affecting your patients and your practice. Thank you for your participation and we look forward to your feedback.
- September 10, 2013: Resolution submission deadline (45 days prior to HOD, in accordance with NCMS Bylaws). Please note:
- Before a resolution is submitted, the NCMS Policy Manual should be searched to ensure that an applicable policy doesn't already exist. The NCMS Policy Manual can be accessed in the members-only section of our website (www.ncmedsoc.org) at the bottom of the page under the NCMS Library tab.
- All resolutions from component medical societies, sections or medical specialty organizations are required to be signed by two officers of the respective organization.
- Resolution without these two signatures will need to be submitted by an individual delegate.
- Resolutions are to be sent preferably by email to the attention of Linda Carter at email@example.com.
- Any resolution containing an "action" item must contain a fiscal note estimating the resources need to implement the resolution.
- The resolution should be submitted with the name of the original sponsor and any available supporting information.
- For your convenience, you can review the "standards for resolutions" and a sample resolution format. Please format your resolution(s) using these standards.
- If you have any questions or would like assistance drafting your resolution(s) or fiscal note(s), please contact Amy Whited (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the NCMS office (800-722-1350).
- September 23, 2013: Resolutions will be posted online for open review and comment. This will take the place of onsite Reference Committee meetings. Delegates are encouraged to review and comment online as these comments will be considered by the Reference Committee members in developing their reports. There will be a dedicated voice mailbox set up for delegates to call and record their comments for those who prefer to comment verbally rather than online.
- October 11, 2013: Resolutions open review and comment period closes.
- October 11, 2013: Delegate materials will be available online.
- October 18, 2013: Reference Committee reports will be available online (tentative date).
- October 24, 2013: Late resolutions due no later than 5:00 pm. Please note:
- Resolutions received after the September 12 deadline will be considered late resolutions.
- Late Resolutions should be e-mailed to Linda Carter at email@example.com no later than 5:00pm on Thursday, October 24.
- October 25, 2013: Late resolutions will be reviewed by the NCMS Board of Directors, which will recommend that late resolutions be "Recommended for Acceptance" or "Not Recommended for Acceptance" by the HOD.
- October 25, 2013: NCMS House of Delegates Session 1, 5:00-6:30 pm, Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel, Raleigh.
- October 26, 2013: NCMS House of Delegates Session 2, 10:00am-1:00pm, Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel, Raleigh. Reference Committee reports will be discussed and voted on during this session of the House.
NCMS Speaker of the HOD
House of Delegates Schedule of Events October 25-26, 2013
The House of Delegates is the policy-making body of the North Carolina Medical Society (NCMS) and is composed of elected representatives and others as provided in the Bylaws. The NCMS serves its members by responding to the changing health care environment with advocacy, information, and access. The Society's priorities and objectives in these areas are determined by the democratic forum of the House of Delegates.
Friday, October 25: The 159th House of Delegates will hold a brief opening session on Friday, where leadership elections will take place and outgoing President Michael P. Moulton, MD, will address the House.
Saturday, October 26: Saturday's Session II will focus on health policy debate and decision-making. Newly inducted President Devdutta Sangvai, MD, MBA, FAAFP, will share his leadership priorities for the coming year. In addition to the business of the House, members will receive a comprehensive update on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and its effects on the practice of medicine.
Delegates should receive a letter in the first week of October detailing how to access the materials needed for the House of Delegates (HOD). If you have not received this information in that time frame, please contact Linda Carter, firstname.lastname@example.org, (919) 833-3836 ext. 135.
Friday, October 25, 7:30pm
Please join us for the Presidential Inauguration of Devdutta Sangvai, MD, MBA, FAAFP, and the presentation of the Presidential Jewel to Michael P. Moulton, MD.